Free Book Offer

personal injury lawyer Bronx, NY

7 Secrets to Maximizing Your New York Auto Accident Award

By Bryan J. Hutchinson

Police Misconduct Attorney Bronx

Corrections and Police Misconduct Cases in NYC

Police Misconduct Attorney BronxBryan J. Hutchinson is a police misconduct attorney Bronx who fights for the rights of the victims. Police are there to protect the people, but there are cases when the power to protect is misused. When you have been the victim of police misconduct, call our office at (718) 671-0900.

As a police misconduct lawyer, I represent citizens in police misconduct and police brutality cases. I believe with every fiber of my being the basic premise of The Founding Fathers:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness"

The government is formed by the people to help us solve civil disputes and protect us from domestic and foreign criminals. Patrick Henry said, "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." The government has only so much power as we grant it.

"A government is the most dangerous threat to man's rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims." -- Ayn Rand, Philosopher. You have the right to be free from the use of excessive force by the government, and that is why I protect the people as a police misconduct attorney in New York City. When individuals in the government abuse the power we granted them, then we must revoke those powers or seek redress.

Every member of our society is entitled to equal protection from the tyranny of the government. The Declaration of Independence reminds us "All men are created equal." The bible also reminds us in Galation 3:28 that "There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus." Unfortunately, members of the African American and low income social groups are often the victim of police misconduct. Socially disadvantaged groups need the protection from the government more than any other group.

In our history, people have condoned government abuse under the false belief that it makes them safer. However, those who would deny victims of police misconduct compensatory damages must be reminded that Benjamin Franklin said, "Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."

We are all entitled to fair and just compensation for personal injury caused by the government. Henry David Thoreau wrote that, "Whatever the human law may be, neither an individual nor a nation can commit the least act of injustice against the obscurest individual without having to pay the penalty for it."

We place our trust in a jury system because it is the only means to hold the government to the principles of the constitution. Socially disadvantaged groups do not have the economic clout to change police procedures. That is why seeking damages before a jury for violation of our civil rights with police misconduct is the most powerful tool in reigning in abuse of government power.

All of our civil rights or police misconduct cases are based upon a contingency fee arrangement. We do not charge clients any attorney fee unless we recover money for our clients.

You are entitled to compensatory personal injury damages for:

  • Past and future medical expenses;
  • Loss of earning, including future earnings;
  • Physical and mental pain and suffering, including but not limited to damages for discomfort, disfigurement, humiliation, emotional trauma, loss of body function, injuries for racial discrimination and police misconduct or the death of a love one.

If your civil rights have been violated contact the Law Office of Bryan J. Hutchinson immediately because the law limits the time you have to file a claim. Call our personal injury lawyer Bronx, NY toll free at (888) 688-4878.

Police Brutality and Filing Notice of Claim

What is a Notice of Claim?


Under Section 50-e of the General Municipal Law, all tort notice of claims against the City of New York Mayoral Agencies should be filed with the City of New York Comptroller. A Notice of Claim should be filed in writing. The Notice of Claim must be notarized and served personally or by Certified Mail within ninety (90) days from the date of the occurrence.

Address to Mail Notice of Claim

The Comptroller of the City of New York

Municipal Building - Room 1225

1 Centre Street

New York, New York 10007

List of the City of New York Mayoral Agencies:

  • 1. Office of the Comptroller
  • 2. Office of the Mayor
  • 3. Fire Department/Emergency Medical Service
  • 4. Police Dept. (Including Housing/Transit)
  • 5. Sanitation Department
  • 6. Department of Buildings
  • 7. Department of Corrections
  • 8. Department of Finance (Sheriff’s Office)
  • 9. Department of Environmental Protection
  • 10. Dept. of Parks and Recreation
  • 11. Dept. Housing Preservation and Development (City owned buildings, not projects)
  • 12. Dept. of Social Services/Human Resources Administration
  • 13. Department of General Services
  • 14.Taxi and Limousine Commission (TLC)
  • 15. Department of Transportation (Ferries, Highways, Parking Violations Bureau)
  • 16. New York City Community Colleges (2-year colleges)

Non-Mayoral Agencies

Notice of Claims Against Non-Mayoral Agencies Should be filed with the particular agency or authority and not with the Comptroller’s Office. The following is list of non-mayoral agencies:

1. N.Y.C. Department of Education

52 Chambers Street, Room 320, B4, New York, New York 10007

2. S.I.R.T.O.A

60 Bay Street, 6th Floor, Staten Island, New York, 10301

3. N.Y.C. Health and Hospitals Corporation

Office of Legal Affairs, Claims Division

125 Worth Street, #527, New York, New York 10013

4. M.T.A. Bridges and Tunnels

The Robert Moses Building, Randall’s Island, New York 10035

5. N.Y.C. Transit Authority (MABSTOA

130 Livingston Street, Brooklyn, New York 11201

(Claims to be filed in County of occurrence)

6. N.Y.C. Housing Authority, Law Dept.

250 Broadway, 9th Floor

New York, New York, 10007

Local Law No. 82 of 1979 provides, in part:

"No Civil action shall be maintained against the City for damage to property or injury to person or death sustained in consequence of any street or sidewalk...being out of repair... unless it appears that written notice was actually given to the commissioner of transportation or any person or department authorized by the commissioner to receive such Notice (Department of Transportation, Canal Street Station, P.O. Box 465, New York, N.Y. 10013) or where there was previous injury to person or property as a result of the existence of the defective, unsafe, dangerous or obstructed condition, and written notice thereof was given to a city agency, or there was written acknowledgment from the City of the defective condition.....and there was a failure to neglect within fifteen days after receipt of such Notice to repair or remove the defect.....or the place otherwise made reasonable safe

Police Misconduct Civilian Complaint Review Board

What is the Civilian Complaint Review Board?

If you or your love one has been a victim of police misconduct you have a right to file a complaint with New York City Civilian Complaint Review Board (CCRB). You have the right to file a complaint even if you are incarcerated.

Within 18 months of the date of the incident the offending officer must be served with the CCRB disciplinary charges. Therefore, you must act promptly of the offender may escape discipline. The law creates an exception to this deadline if the officer's conduct is a crime.

You should file a complaint to protect your civil liberties and create a record of the police misconduct. If will aide in correct the police officer's conduct in the future or help change police policies and procedures.

Where to file a complaint for Police Misconduct?

You can reach the Civilian Complaint Review Board in person at its office, online, in writing, by telephone or by visiting any NYPD precinct.

Telephone: Dial 311

In Person:
Address: 40 Rector Street, 2nd Floor, New York, New York

Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 5:00pm

Internet: You can also file online here.

Mail: CCRB, 40 Rector Street, 2nd Floor, New York, NY 10006. Send a self-mailer complaint form (available by calling the CCRB)

Precinct Visit: You can visit any NYPD precinct and file your complaint in person.

At the Law Office of Bryan J. Hutchinson, we specialize in personal injury, Civil Law, and civil law practice areas. When you have been a victim, you need police brutality attorney Bronx, Bryan J. Hutchinson on your side.

Police Misconduct Lawyer Bronx NY (718) 671-0900